Resources on how to write
- W. Strunk and E. B. White – The Elements of Style ◇ book ·
Everyone's favourite, just don't follow it too religiously.
- William Zinsser – On Writing Well ◇ book ·
I've enjoyed this book a lot, well worth the read, especially the first few chapters (Part I), as they are also motivational.
- Iain Murray – Writing Resources ◇ notes ·
A collection of writing advice – lots of goodies in there.
- Larry McEnereny – The Craft of Writing Effectively ◇ video · handout ·
Entertaining and eye-opening presentation; here's an example of such an idea: as students, we write to showcase our knowledge, but as researchers, we write to challenge the status quo.
- Paul Seibel – How to write a book ◇ article ·
A four-step recipe for writing:
(i) start with a bag of words,
(ii) add hierarchical structure,
(iii) flatten the outline,
(iv) expand the outline into full-fledged sentences.
- Jordan B. Peterson – Essay Writing Guide ◇ notes ·
Another methodological approach to writing, for the perfectionist in you.
- Simon Peyton Jones – How to Write a Great Research Paper ◇ video · slides ·
Seven suggestions for writing research papers from the enthusiastic Simon Peyton Jones:
(i) don't wait: write;
(ii) identify your key idea;
(iii) tell a story;
(iv) nail your contributions;
(v) related work;
(vi) put your readers first;
(vii) listen to your readers.
- Jason Eisner – Write the paper first ◇ notes ·
This article is in the same spirit to Simon Peyton Jones' first piece of advice – don't wait: write.
See also Jason's research advice collection.